How to Start a Blog in 10 Easy Steps

by - 08:00:00

Back in the day when I started my blog I never thought about all the things you have to do to actually build a blog. I wish I had at the time someone to tell me that even though blogging isn’t that easy, it’s totally worth it and the only thing I regret is not starting earlier. I wanted to create a simple and easy to follow guide with personal advice on how to create a nice blog that will serve as a base for the future plans you might have in mind.

1. Choosing a platform

Blogger is probably the easiest option you have as it’s simple to work with and actually allows you a nice design. Both Blogger and WordPress are free platforms where you can build your blog. There are also endless paid options you can move your blog to if you at some point are not happy with the platform you’re in and want something more professional such as SquareSpace. Read “Why Moving My Blog to SquareSpace Is The Best Thing I’ve ever Did” by From Roses if you want to know more about it.

ADVICE: Always start with a free platform as you don’t want to be spending money on something you don’t know if it’s worth it. Some people realise blogging isn’t everyone’s cup of tea and soon quit. Find out who you are and what you want your blog to be in first place.

2. Choosing a niche

Choosing a niche isn’t defining a rule that you can never break. “I can only talk about makeup and skincare because I want to be a beauty blogger” This is not a thought you should follow. You can and should stablish what type of posts will be more frequent on your blog but you don’t need to restrict yourself from doing other things.

ADVICE: You might be reading blogs for a long time and you might enjoy what you read but keep in mind that reading about isn’t the same as writing about it. Choose a topic that you feel comfortable writing about it.

3. Choosing a name

For me this is the hardest step of all. Choosing a name? You have endless options but always choose a name that reflects a part of you and your personality. Take your time to decide which name you’ll give to your little space on the internet because loving your blog name right away is completely worth it.

ADVICE: Think well about this. When I first started blogging I named my blog the first thing it came to my mind and I ended up hating and changing it to “A Bittersweet Diary”. Yes, you can change it later but it’s much easier if you don’t have to.

4. Match the URL to your blog with the name

This step might be a little tricky as once you get really exciting about finally finding a great name for your blog, you can find out that the URL has been taken by somebody else. Having a list with different names you like and checking in the URLs are available is the smartest option.

ADVICE: Getting a domain isn’t for everyone but it definitely gives your blog a more professional look. This is something I really want to achieve this year.

5. The very first few posts

It’s time to decide if you want to show your blog to the world with already a few posts in it or if you want to start slower and build it with time. I’ve always launched both my blogs with only one single blogpost in it and started building it from there and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. It’s pure personal preference.

6. Deciding your schedule

If I knew at the time what I know now, I’d have stablished a schedule for my blog since the beginning. Having a schedule and sticking to it will help you build your blog and feel more confident about it. When I say schedule I don’t posts every day at 10am. You can blog only once or twice a week, there are no rules but it’s easier if you just tell your readers when you’re are going to post. I used the blog every two days but that started being too much for me and now I post every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday at 8am.

ADVICE: If you want to stick to your schedule you have to be reasonable. I would never advice blogging every day from your first day as you’ll soon realise that it’s much more difficult than what it might seem. If you’re an extremely busy person, do one to two posts a week as more than that might drive you insane. With time you’ll realise what is the best blogging routine for you and how many posts a week you’re capable of doing.

7. Choosing a design

The design is the first thing everyone will see once they click on your blog and you better be proud of it. If you know nothing about HTML, you can find some free pre-designed templates to use just like I did or you can pay for one. When looking for a pre-designed template, make sure the template you should can be used on the platform you have your blog in. Most templates that work on WordPress won’t work on Blogger. Find nice templates here and here.

ADVICE: Keep it simple!

8. Write a captivating first post

It might be a bit scary thinking about what your very first blog post will be about but there’s nothing better than being honest and being yourself. Write some facts about it, why you started blogging and what your blog will be about. People always like to know more about the person behind and talking about you in your first blog post is a great start.

9. Bloglovin’

Bloglovin’ is probably the biggest community for bloggers and it’s so easy to read and follow new blogs without never missing a post. You can connect your Bloglovin’ account to Twitter and Facebook and share yor newest blog posts in those social networks.

10. Take some nice photos (and no, you don’t need a DSLR to do it) and start typing. I bet you’ll love it!

Love, Rita

You May Also Like

0 comentários